Joe Bendik: MLS Goal keeper and part time Twitter champ

Boom! - Rick Osentoski-USA TODAY Sports

Joe Bendik wins at TFC twitter by telling a fan just what he can do with his complaints about Ryan Nelsen. His simple reply was certainly worthy of a smile and it raises the question of why people would expect a player to deliver messages to the club for them.

Anyone who spends a decent amount of time on Twitter has seen that when fans get worked over Toronto FC up their anger is often not only directed towards the club account but also towards the accounts of players.  When that happens it can lead to rare moments where player's accounts are truly worth following.

I follow all of the TFC players that are on twitter and at least 90% of the time their tweets are of little interest to me or in the case of Reggie Lambe make little sense to me.  The other 10% of the time they have some good or informative stuff to say like when Matias Laba broke the news of his injury or more often when players announce their departure from the club prior to it being made official.  It can be a useful tool for getting ahead of the game when it comes to breaking news.

Now and then though it just brings a smile to your face.  In a long season full of losing it is not unheard of for a player to just get sick of seeing crap directed at them by keyboard warriors on twitter.  Some players handle it the wrong way and lash out like Bakary Soumare decided to do over the weekend when he told a writer for Chicago Fire's website just what he felt of his criticism.

If Soumare is an example of how not to respond to criticism or attacks online than Joe Bendik provided a great example following the Maximiliano Urruti trade of just how to deal with such a tweet without just ingoring it.  Excuse the language if you are easily offended by such things but this was too good not to share.

Point Mr.Bendik.  A simple reply but one that brought a smile to my face for just how effective it was.  He also has a point that if you have real complaints about something the club is doing and actually want them to be heard take the time to contact the club and make your voice heard.  I somehow doubt Reggie Lambe, Joe Bendik, Jonathan Osorio, or even Kurt Larson (one of these things is not like the others) want to be delivering that kind of message for fans.

For today at least, Joe Bendik wins at TFC Twitter.

X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join Waking The Red

You must be a member of Waking The Red to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Waking The Red. You should read them.

Join Waking The Red

You must be a member of Waking The Red to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Waking The Red. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_9353_tracker