clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Toronto FC 2:2 New England Revolution. Fortune favours the cowardly, just not quite for 45 minutes

Poor, poor, poor, poor Milos Kocic.  Asked to do so much.  Given so little help.
Poor, poor, poor, poor Milos Kocic. Asked to do so much. Given so little help.

The following is a copy and paste of the basic game report from To be honest, I'm not really in the mood to be adding all that much to it right now. Maybe tomorrow. For the second straight game Toronto FC throw away a 2 goal half time lead (to be fair, hey it's the second straight game we've earned a two goal half time lead, whooooooo!) and for the second straight game it's the exact same reason why. Just sitting back and inviting the opposition to attack. If you've got a good defence, that might be a good idea, TFC, for plenty of different reasons, in no way have a good defence, so it's pretty much suicide. Especially when you substitute your best midfielders, the ones who can actually keep possession, help the defence clear the ball and calmly move it into midfield and up to the forwards.

After taking Julian de Guzman off in Houston resulted in the Dynamo's late equaliser, Paul Mariner did it again, removing Torsten Frings, de Guzman and Eric Avila in the second half. From there TFC were never in the game, didn't build one attack I can remember, allowed the Revolution to come at them again and again and if it wasn't for a shot that hit the post and several saves from Milos Kocic, they wouldn't have got close to injury time before conceding the equaliser. A good first half, two very good Ashtone Morgan crosses and some fantastic moments of Centre Forward play from Danny Koevermans wasted. Again.

Anyway, your basic match report and facts is after the jump, I need a drink.

Chris Tierney was able to run onto a header in the 4th minute of stoppage time as the New England Revolution pulled out a 2-2 tie against Toronto FC on Saturday. TFC had built a 2-0 lead early in the first half on goals by Danny Koevermans and Ryan Johnson, but were on their heels for much of the second half.

It was the second time in four days that TFC had blown a two-goal lead and allowed the equalizer to come in the waning moments. On Wednesday, they led the Houston Dynamo3-1 at halftime but settled for a tie after allowing a goal in the 90th minute.

The Revolution probably deserved to win this one, in fact. In the second half alone, they created numerous scoring chances and only a combination of TFC goalkeeper Milos Kocic and the woodwork kept TFC ahead as long as they were. Kocic came up with seven saves, which doesn't include one shot that Benny Feilhaber hit off the post. They broke through with their first goal when Blake Brettschneider converted in the 71st minute.

The first half, though, was all TFC. Koevermans scored his third goal of the week on the 4th minute off a cross from Ashtone Morgan, who also set up Johnson in the 42nd minute.