clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Toronto FC Advance to Voyageurs Cup Final after Scoreless Draw with Montreal

It was a sluggish, perhaps boring, match, but that will suit Toronto FC just fine as they are off to the Voyageurs Cup final.

Eric Bolte-USA TODAY Sports

Toronto FC is headed to the Voyageurs Cup final after a 0-0 draw with the Montreal Impact at Saputo Stadium. They won the semi-final 4-2 on aggregate after a strong performance last Wednesday at BMO Field.

Clint Irwin and Eric Kronberg traded clean sheets, but the former will be much more happy with his considering the stakes. It was the second time this season that Toronto FC has shut out the Impact at Saputo Stadium.

The game had a rather drowsy opening between the two sides after the Impact threatened for the first few minutes. This played right into the hands of the visitors, who needed only a draw or a one-goal loss in order to advance to the final. Clint Irwin was only majorly tested once, albeit on a chance that forced him to make a big save.

Montreal would, however, put together a few more chances towards the end of the first half. Michael Salazar really should have scored on a corner kick late in the half, but instead stubbed his toe on the ground and saw his shot stopped by Irwin. Didier Drogba was also given a free-kick from similar range to the one that he scored in the first leg but put his shot high.

The first half ended 0-0 during what was an ideal half for Toronto FC, minus the fact that they did not score themselves. Benoit Cheyrou and Will Johnson were especially impressive, breaking down several chances that the Impact had in the midfield.

The Impact continued their attacking pressure in the second half with Salazar again coming close to opening the scoring from a long range effort. Lucas Ontivero then beat a couple of Toronto FC defenders, but he shot sailed wide.

He again slalomed through Toronto defenders again 59th minute before being brought down by Ashtone Morgan in the box. A foul was not called, however, and Ontivero would be berated verbally by Johnson. Frustrated, he got up and head-butted Johnson in the face, which saw him get sent off.

It was the second red card that the Impact has received during this series. The first came in Toronto, when Patrice Bernier was sent off for a challenge on Daniel Lovitz. This forced the Impact to play a man down for the final half-hour of the match.

From there, Toronto FC was able to kill off the remaining minutes on the clock, playing well-organised defensive soccer until the final minute. They were even able to introduce Sebastian Giovinco for a couple of minutes at the end, and the Italian had two good chances at the end of the match.

Toronto FC will play either the Vancouver Whitecaps or Ottawa Fury in the final depending upon tonight's match between those two sides. The Fury currently lead that semi-final 2-0 on aggregate heading into tonight's match in Vancouver. The final will be played during the week of June 20 and the week of June 27.