clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

TFC II and RBNY II share the points after rollicking 3-3 draw

Endoh and Hamilton again in the middle of the action as the Young Reds pick up a point on the road against New York

USL Photo - Toronto FC II’s Matt Srbely gets tangled up with an opponent in their 3-3 draw with New York Red Bulls II at MSU Soccer Park on Thursday night
TFC II’s Srbely battles for a bouncing ball with a Red Bull II opponent in Thursday night’s 3-3 draw at MSU Soccer Park
New York Red Bulls II

Toronto FC II scored three, but were able to deny New York Red Bulls II the full points on Thursday night, a result that does a small favour for Ottawa Fury FC as the playoff race continues in USL.

The home side took the lead through Anatole Abang after twelve minutes, but goals from Tsubasa Endoh and Tim Kubel either side of the thirty-minute mark put Toronto ahead momentarily, only for Andreas Ivan to equalize before the half-time whistle.

Jordan Hamilton added a third for the guests in the 62nd minute, but Brian White was able to find a response for New York six minutes later to round out the scoring on an entertaining, back-and-forth night.

A week on from their last match, a 4-3 defeat at the hands of Ottawa at Lamport Stadium, Michael Rabasca went back to his preferred XI with many of the first teamers who played against Ottawa back with the MLS side.

Caleb Patterson-Sewell returned between the posts in place of Borja Angoitia and the tried-and-tested back-line of Tim Kubel, Lars Eckenrode, Robert Boskovic, and Kyle Bjornethun (from right to left) resumed their roles after last week’s shuffle.

Liam Fraser, who was away with Canada last week, was available for TFC II to patrol the centre of the park. Further afield, Matt Srbely and Jon Bakero took up the more forward-facing midfield roles.

The attacking trident was spear-headed by Hamilton, flanked on either side by Endoh and Aidan Daniels.

The opening minute provided a glimpse of what was to come with each side in turn attacking the other’s goal before the 60 seconds were done.

It would be New York who took the lead through Abang in the 12th minute when he was played in behind the Toronto back-line by Niko de Vera. He rounded Patterson-Sewell, who was able to delay his progress forcing the attacker wide, but Abang squeezed a low left-footed shot past a couple recovering bodies and in off the near-post.

Toronto would shake off the early concession and regroup, finding an equalizer in the 23rd minute when an excellent build-up of one- and two-touch soccer found Hamilton streaking down the left-channel from where he squared to Endoh for a simple tap-in.

Thirteen minutes later, Kubel would give Toronto the lead with the first professional goal of his career, following up an Endoh shot to convert the rebound from a very tight angle.

But back up the other end in the 39th minute, New York would re-equalize through Ivan, who was allowed to move in-field from the right before beating Patterson-Sewell with a low left-footed drive from the edge of the area.

All square after half-time, Toronto were eager to restate their case, nearly retaking the lead in the opening ten minutes when Endoh forced a turnover and Srbely drove up field to put a ball into the area for Hamilton, but the striker was unable to get the clean contact required, redirecting the cross wide.

Hamilton would not miss his next chance come the 62nd minute. Another lovely passage from Srbely saw him turn away from a defender before picking out the movement of Hamilton, who blasted a shot past the New York keeper, Ryan Meara.

But with precious points at stake, Red Bull II would not relent either. Eckenrode needed to be sharp to recover to his goalmouth to clear a bouncing goal-bound dribbler from White that got past Patterson-Sewell, but did not have the energy to get across the line.

White would get another chance in the 68th minute from a corner kick when Toronto could not clear the initial ball allowing the midfielder to force a header over the goal-line, much to Patterson-Sewell’s chagrin, who was unafraid to disagree with the officiating crew.

USL Photo - Toronto FC II’s goalkeeper, Caleb Patterson-Sewell confronts New York Red Bulls II’s Anatole Abang as he bears in on goal
TFC II’s Caleb Patterson-Sewell rushes off his line to hassle a RBNY II attacker in Thursday’s back-and-forth 3-3 draw
New York Red Bulls II

Rabasca went to his bench in the remaining twenty-plus minutes, replacing Daniels with Jordan Faria in the 69th minute, Endoh with Noble Okello in the 79th minute, and Bakero with Malik Johnson in the 82nd minute, but neither side was able to find the game-winner before the full-time whistle blew.

An archive of the match is available on YouTube, as usual.

The road trip continues for TFC II as they head to Eastern Conference leading FC Cincinnati for a match on Sunday – kickoff is set for 4:30 p.m. Given Toronto’s recent goal-scoring form and knack for upsets, this one is must watch.