clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Recap: Toronto FC 2 - 2 Chicago Fire: Altidore, Osorio score as TFC draw with the Fire

Jonathan Osorio’s first goal of the season earns TFC a point

MLS: Chicago Fire at Toronto FC Tom Szczerbowski-USA TODAY Sports

The weather in Toronto was perfect for a game of football, and it seemed like Toronto FC were set to pick up three points after 45 minutes of play, but a stoppage time goal from C.J. Sapong and a goal from Nemanja Nikolic at the start of the second half saw TFC trailing, but they managed to fight back and earn a 2-2 draw.

Toronto FC started out strong, generating a few good scoring chances, but they failed to capitalize on any of them. They looked dangerous, and due for a goal, and in the 21st minute, appeared to have been given a penalty when Richie Laryea, making his TFC debut, was brought down in the box.

It was not to be, however, as the linesman called it off for an offside, and the game got back underway.

It wasn’t long before Toronto FC finally opened the scoring, as Alejandro Pozuelo sent a perfect cross to the back post, finding the head of Jozy Altidore, who sent it home and followed it up with a passionate celebration at the north end of the pitch.

It was Altidore’s third goal of the season, as he extended his scoring streak to three games to start his 2019 campaign.

The game got a bit fiesty in the 36th minute, as Aleksandar Katai got into it with Alex Bono, Drew Moor and Richie Laryea. A scrum ensued, and Katai and Laryea picked up yellow cards for exchanging headbutts.

Just when it seemed like the Reds would enter the break up 1-0, C.J. Sapong tied the game, chipping the ball over Alex Bono, and the two sides went into halftime at 1-1.

At the start of the second half, Jozy Altidore got on the end of another cross, but David Ousted made a big save to deny a second TFC goal, and a few minutes later, it was the Fire who scored a second through Nemanja Nikolic, who gave Chicago the lead with his first of the year in the 62nd minute.

Toronto FC were battling back and eventually found an equalizer in the 78th minute, as Jonathan Osorio picked up his first goal of the year. From the edge of the 6-yard box, Osorio jumped up and headed the ball home, igniting both the crowd and his teammates.

The Fire held off the barrage of TFC attacks for the rest of the game, just managing to hold onto a point. Toronto will see this as 2 lost points, as they dominated for most of the match, but were unable to capitalize on a few key scoring chances.

TFC ‘s next game is next Saturday, April 14th, in Seattle against the Sounders.