clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

TFC II erase three goal deficit to stay unbeaten at home

A stoppage time goal earned a draw for the Young Reds

Lucas Kschischang

Toronto FC II came back from a three-goal deficit on Wednesday, needing a stoppage time goal to earn a draw with North Texas SC.

The visitors, currently top of the USL League One table, got off to a quick start, taking the lead in the 9th minute. After a long ball over the top by Alfusainey Jatta, Dante Sealy got a touch in the box, and the ball fell for Ronaldo Damus, who gave North Texas a 1-0 lead.

Damus would double the lead in the 26th minute with a goal that may or may not have been intentional. From the left side of the goal, he looked to have misplaced a cross, and the ball curled toward the goal, beating Kevin Silva.

North Texas added another goal just over a minute later, as Damus completed his hat trick. He got on the end of a pass and ran at the TFC II goal before drilling a low shot at Kevin Silva. Silva got a touch on the ball, but not enough of one to keep it from bouncing across the line, giving the visitors a commanding 3-0 lead.

Toronto FC II, although disappointed at being down by three, dug in and fought back.

Griffin Dorsey picked up the first goal for Toronto in the final moments of the first half. After a shot by Jordan Perruzza was saved, Dorsey jumped on the rebound and tapped it home, bringing the Young Reds within two goals going into halftime.

Toronto FC II managed to pull themselves within one in the 73rd minute, as Matthew Srbely finished off a nice passing play. After Griffin Dorsey intercepted a pass in the midfield, he charged toward the North Texas backline before passing the ball to Jordan Perruzza. Perruzza played it forward to Srbely, who took a few touches before firing the ball into the net.

In the dying moments of the match, when it seemed like the comeback might have just fallen short, Franco Ramos Mingo scored the equalizer. Griffin Dorsey, who put in a strong effort all day long, played the ball out wide for Tsubasa Endoh, who crossed the ball into the box. Ramos Mingo sliced the ball home with his first touch, earning a late point for his side.

The full highlights of the match can be found here.

With the draw, Toronto remain unbeaten at home, having picked up three wins and a draw through four games at the BMO Training Ground.

Up next for Toronto FC II is a game next Wednesday in Lansing against Lansing Ignite FC. After a fiesty affair between the two sides recently, which TFC II won 3-0, Lansing will be looking for revenge in their stadium.