Goal number 700 was oh so pretty. Bradley’s in form. And Oh Canada!
1. Canada’s on a wave: Finally, it was a stress-free Saturday night as the Reds put in a big 5-1 performance over FC Cincinnati’s “B-Team.” They joined the Canadian men’s national team and Bianca Andreescu, who we of course have to give love to, in a couple of massive blowouts on Canada’s sensational Saturday.
2. Was it Christmas or something? Because I was seeing some pretty nice goals from Toronto FC tonight... How about this DeLeon shot for Toronto FC’s 700th goal in team history? (h/t Martyn Bailey)
I just hope they saved some for Wednesday’s mid-week fixture.
3. Shout out Westberg: The Toronto FC goalkeeper bounced back and stayed sharp despite the lack of action in-between chances. He made some nice saves over the course of the match when his number was called. He even came close on the penalty shot that spoiled his clean sheet in the 90th minute.
4. El Captiano: Michael Bradley is in form. Of course it was FC Cincinnati’s B Team, but the midfield marshal was once again on point. If TFC are going to continue to climb the Eastern Conference standings, they’ll need their captain to be sharp.
5. No Jozy, No problem: Vanney’s decision to rest Jozy Altidore paid early dividends as the Toronto FC striker will be good to go Wednesday night when the team from the North takes on Eastern Conference leaders New York City FC. Shout out Patrick Mullins for that early finish. He’s an easy whipping boy, but I do admire his desire to get in behind and relentless work rate. And yeah, nice finish on that left foot too.
The Reds are back in action Wednesday and, as always, we’ll have all your coverage here on WTR. Stay tuned for more in depth coverage this weekend on tonight’s statement win.