TORONTO, Ont.—Toronto FC announced today that the club and Quentin Westberg have agreed to a contract extension.
Toronto FC will be extending 33-year-old GK Quentin Westberg's contract. Announcement coming shortly. #TFCLive— Michael Singh (@MichaelSingh94) January 31, 2020
“Q had a great first season with us and was integral in helping us win the Eastern Conference and advance to the MLS Cup,” said Toronto FC General Manager Ali Curtis. “We’re very excited that we were able to reach agreement on a new contract.”
According to the Toronto Sun’s Steve Buffery, Westberg’s extension is for two more seasons, plus an option for a third.
A graduate of the prestigious Clairefontaine academy, the 33-year-old Westberg originally signed with the Reds last February after arriving from French club AJ Auxerre. After earning the starting role, Westberg went on to make 32 combined starts (regular season and playoffs), posting four clean sheets—backstopping Toronto to the MLS Cup Final.
Westberg’s ability to play with his feet adds an extra outlet at the back for Greg Vanney’s side, something that won the Toronto FC head coach over when the French GK first arrived.
“I like his distribution, his capability [there],” said Vanney after Westberg’s first match. “There are probably a couple times that he takes a little more risk than necessary, but that’s just finding a balance with our team. [We] also can recognize his ability to do things, get to spots faster because part of his strength is to hit those spots. There is a relationship between getting used to him and him to the group that only comes with repetition and minutes. That was a nice add to the group.”
Westberg’s signing further asks the question, what does this mean for a 25-year-old Alex Bono? I wrote about this situation earlier in the offseason, however, by all indications he and Q will “battle it out” for the no. 1 role, as Vanney alluded to today in training.