clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Extratime votes 2017 Toronto FC as the greatest MLS team of all-time

The MLSsoccer.com podcast and fans vote TFC’s treble-winning squad as the league’s best side ever

MLS: MLS CUP-Seattle Sounders vs Toronto FC
Dec 9, 2017—TFC captain Michael Bradley (4) presents the cup to fans while leaving the field after defeating the Seattle Sounders in the MLS Cup Final at BMO Field.
(Sousa/USA TODAY Sports)

TORONTO, Canada—Toronto FC’s 2017 team just continues to rack up the accolades.

On Thursday evening, MLSsoccer.com’s podcast Extratime announced that TFC’s treble-winning side has been voted as the greatest MLS team of all-time. The Reds beat out D.C. United’s 1997 squad to emerge as champions of the 32-team bracket.

(via MLS.com)

Extratime hosts’ votes counted for 80 per cent of the outcome of each matchup, with fan votes on their Twitter account deciding the remaining 20 per cent.

Led by designated players Sebastian Giovinco, Jozy Altidore, and captain Michael Bradley, the Reds became the first Canadian team to win the Supporters Shield, setting a league-record (at the time) for points in a season (69). They’d go on to capture the club’s first (and only) MLS Cup, defeating the Seattle Sounders 2-0 at BMO Field, becoming the first MLS team to complete a domestic treble.

What a time that was. You can find the full 2017 team roster here. For what it’s worth, only nine of the 30-man roster is still with the club.